Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Found Object, Assemblage, and My 3D Concentration

My AP 3D concentration idea is pretty much in the essence of found objects, or objet trouve, if you want to sound more European. Creating works out of found objects is similar to the process of making collages, equally fun and frustrating. One moment the materials miraculously fit together like a glove (bonus points if one of the objects is actually a glove), other times they don't like each other at all.
Or maybe they just don't like you, I don't know.
Well, after finishing the Parsons challenge I began to struggle a bit with coming up with another piece. To be honest, I can't recall how I put together this one in the first place.


One afternoon it came to me that I wanted to make a hand in the similar style as the first figure I did, and the rest of the podium just happened naturally. The shoe was an afterthought.
For the sake of this blog and for my own inspiration fuel, it might be the perfect time to spend some time consulting the old masters.
"I could see no reason why used tram tickets, bits of driftwood, buttons and old junk from attics and rubbish heaps should not serve well as materials for paintings; they suited the prupose just as well as factory-made paints... It is possible to cry out using bits of old rubbish, and that's what I did, gluing and nailing them together."
- Kurt Schwitters
Kurt Schwitters here is talking about creating assemblage "paintings" from found objects. Although my goal is to create sculptures, his works are still worth a look.

Construction for Noble Ladies, 1919
Joseph Cornell does some interesting boxes. The cabinet-like appearance may be something to think about, since my concentration also kind of has that idea of putting objects on display, like the old shoe. But I'm also a little hesitant to make shelves because my mind goes to artists like Louise Nevelson and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to do something similar.


This last one reminds me that my dad asked me if I need any medicine bottles for materials because he can get lots at his hospital. Then I told him about Damien Hirst and his pharmacy and pills. If my dad were to see that installation he'd probably scoff. Still considering the uses of medicine bottles for my own work, though. Maybe a few dated needles would be good too.

Oh, did we forget Robert Rauschenberg? I certainly didn't.




Didn't forget Edward Kienholz, either. Setting up an installation sounds like a fun idea, but my problem is if I find something big in Taichung I can't bring it here to Hsinchu. My materials are kind of limited.



Jean Tinguely's kinetic sculptures have interesting forms. I'm mostly looking at the compositions.




And that's it for today. The geek in me is having too much fun and I've spent at least 3 hours researching. Time for a break because I'm actually really tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment