Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Art History 2D Inspiration

I'm thinking about doing some female figures since I haven't done any explicitly female forms. And looking through art history there is definitely not a lack of female representation, whether it is good representation is another issue. I'm going to ignore the reclining nudes because they are so overused in all the possible ways I'm going to puke.

I thought about that idea of making a collage-like sculpture. I think to be able to do that I might have to make different separate parts and put them together? I'm still not sure how to execute that.
I looked at the works of Hannah Hoch my favorite collage artist and I found this.


I remember I had a sketch last year with a figure on a trapezoid base like this!! I was already thinking about turning my sketches into 3D works.
Now what makes Hoch's figures great is that they are part conventionally pretty and part African mask (or other things). I won't be copying her style, of course, but I like that contrast. I think I would try using different materials for each part.

No comments:

Post a Comment