Friday, April 18, 2014

Costumes

My latest project for AP 3D has been a costume. It was very much inspired by Dada performance art and fashion (if you can call it that) by the nonsensical and do-it-yourself look many Dada art has, and by the playful, completely not serious at all attitude. Um, I might have started my piece to be sort of a joke, a mockery of Dada performance and poetry even, if you can get any more ironic than that. 


Just look at Hugo Ball reading sound poetry in those outfits - If I have a time machine I would definitely take a trip back to the Cabaret Voltaire and experience a few of their performances. 


And here we have Sophie Taeuber wearing some cardboard paper. 

If you're talking about Dada fashion, Elsa von Freytag-Loringhoven is definitely working it. Can't get more fabulous than a dress made of rubbish. 

Another major inspiration for me were these costumes by Picasso from around the same time period. I took a lot from the tall, linear forms that make the wearers look less human. Unfortunately I wasn't able to produce something nearly as elaborate because I couldn't figure out how to make the cardboards stay on a person. 
Costume de Manager Français, 1917
Costume de Manager Américain, 1917

No comments:

Post a Comment